Sunday, October 23, 2016

Space Short Operas

For this subject, I decided to read the short stories by Arthur C. Clarke. In both The Star and The Nine Billion Names of God, the author seems to question the concept of a divine creator, as well as different ideas on the concept. In The Star, the story is told from the perspective of a crew member from a space expedition, elaborating on the thoughts of his wavering faith after witnessing the expansive universe. The story constantly keeps questioning if there is a creator or not, especially when they find the alien time capsule from a desolated planet, that the surface was destroyed by the near dying star. As for The Nine Billion Names of God, the story mainly focus on the concept that there is a secret within the many names for God. A monastery is using a machine borrowed from the protagonist to conduct this research. The author seems interested on the concept of a future where one wonders on the idea of a creator or higher power. I have a pretty open mind when it comes to different beliefs. For example, I was raised to believe in an All Powerful Creator as a Christian, however when I first started learning and understanding about the evolution theories and the expansive universe at school, it never wavered my beliefs. Both stories were short and had some unique ideas, however I found it a little hard to understand some of the narration and dialogues in both of them. When I started reading The Star, I was a little confused, however the more I read through the short story, the more I understood. As for The Nine Billion Names of God, I was not able to fully understand most of the dialogue because of their complex science vocabulary, which is common in Sci-Fi stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment